What’s New This Week?—October 20-25
We have two more new courses to share with you! Tammie Bairen’s 36-week Introduction to Architecture for middle school and high school debuts this week. And Wendy Stoller’s new Daily, Nourishing Nuggets, joined us last week. Don’t miss these two wonderful new courses (and be sure to check out Michelle Miller’s Monthly Reading List all about architecture!).
We’re changing the way we post new content each month to make scheduling your weeks a little easier. You can view the new schedule here. This schedule has built-in review and catch up weeks, and also notes when the majority of our teachers will be taking time off for the holidays. As always, any changes to this schedule will be posted on individual teacher’s pages. Remember, courses can be started at any time. Miss any material? Catch up on your schedule!
Would you like to use SchoolhouseTeachers.com in a co-op or group setting? Find what you need to know here.
Learn from the Experts and Our SchoolhouseTeachers.com Courses
- Biology with Ruth Sundeen explores cells and viruses. Watch the course preview video.
- American History: Colonization Era with Amy Puetz studies colonial life this week.
- Renaissance History with Rhonda Clark-Overview of English history (Rhonda’s October lessons have been delayed due to a family need.)
- Animal Science with Dr. Sonya Brouillette-our next animals are all farm animals. This week: chickens.
- Creative Writing with Carrie Daws-October‘s focus: Scene
- Literature with Adam Andrews-The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis. Ten pages of study on a literary classic, a blank story chart for you to develop, and much more! PLUS, Marla Schultz has a Literature Kit to accompany this study.
- Writing with Janice Campbell-”Whistle,” a letter by Benjamin Franklin.
- Geology with Patrick Nurre of Northwest Treasures-this week, Exploring America’s Natural Wonders: Badlands National Park & Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Watch the course preview video.
- Mock Trial with Deborah Burton-October’s topic: environmental law. Develop your own mock trial, debate, or persuasive paper.
- Botany with Julie Polanco studies plant genetics.
- Art Techniques with Brenda Ellis shares how to draw autumn leaves with colored pencils.
- Music Theory/Education with Michelle Martin has concluded Music Theory II. Michelle will return with a new course segment in the spring.
- Reading Lessons for young readers or struggling readers with Dr. Matthew Glavach-September’s focus: middle school and high school struggling readers
- Science with Jason Lindsey-weekly experiments with pdfs and videos
- Figures in History with Cathy Diez-Luckie-September’s Figure: Stonewall Jackson
- Lapbooking with Kimm Bellotto-choose from dozens of available lapbooks to study.
- Literature Kits with Marla Schultz-October’s Lit Kit: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis.
- Reading List with Michelle Miller-October’s Topic: Architecture
- Studio Art for Teens with Sharon Jeffus explores eagles in art.
- Tinkers Club with Ed Sobey has fun with wearable LED lights.
Plus great material in (How to Teach) Elementary Math from Dr. Peter Price, Homesteading with Lisa Barthuly, Special Needs with Judi Munday. French with Greg Shone will return for Year Three later this fall.
Previous weeks remain posted for catchup and review.
For a list of all courses both active and archived that includes suggested grade levels, click here.
Don’t miss all the incredible resources we have in the Schoolhouse Preschool for your littlest learners including:
- Seven lessons from the Homegrown Preschool team of Kathy Lee and Lesli Richards.
- ABC with Me history series for preschoolers
- Early Learning Sensory Activities with Beth Gorden.
- Charlotte Mason Preschool with Brittney Jordan.
- Figures in History with Cathy Diez-Luckie.
- Pre-K Activities: Read and Play.
- Pre-K Spelling with video flashcards.
- Animated books by EZ Tales.
- Plus coloring activities, stories, games, and more!
We’ve got lots of new material this week in the Schoolhouse Dailies, bite-sized units to fit into any day.
- ABC with ME-Our newest Daily for your littlest learner! This week: I is for Isaac Singer.
- Daily Grammar-for 1st, 5th, and 6th/7th (and completed material for 3rd/4th)
- Daily Puzzlers
- Daily Writing
- Ditch the Desk
- Everyday Easels-Everyday Easels Passport review
- Everyday Games-5 new math games for elementary
- Everyday Organization
- Schoolhouse Spelling: High School-Charlotte Mason-themed spelling activities, vocabulary building, and more.
- Schoolhouse Spelling: Middle School-Charlotte Mason-themed spelling activities, vocabulary building, and more.
- Schoolhouse Spelling: Upper Elementary-Charlotte Mason-themed spelling activities, vocabulary building, and more.
Plus great ongoing material in Pre-K: Read and Play, Simply Shakespeare (Two Gentlemen of Verona), Everyday Copywork, Daily Discoveries, Joy in the Morning, Kinetic Connections, Everyday Copywork, and Everyday Explorers: USA.
And don’t forget the resources in our completed Dailies including Daily Math, Everyday Astronomy, Everyday Explorers: Australia & New Zealand, Everyday Explorers: Canada, Schoolhouse Music: Recorder, Schoolhouse Spelling: Pre-K/K, Schoolhouse Spelling: Lower Elementary, Test Your Knowledge, This Day in History, and This Month’s Menu.
Don’t forget the DOZENS of complete courses we have on the site including:
- Computer Science/Programming with Chris Yust (12 months)
- Home Economics with Heather Leach (6 months)
- Public Speaking with Rebekah Bell (5 months)
- Statistics (high school level) with Kathy LaPan (5 months)
- Friendly Chemistry with Joey Hajda (12 weeks with video)
- Charlotte Mason-Preschool with Brittney Jordan (6 months)
- Family Fitness with Bethany Learn (3 months with video)
- Charlotte Mason Homeschooling with Cindy West (5 months)
- Photography with Michele Peterson (8 months)
- Elementary Spanish with Carol Henderson (9 months) available until January 1, 2015
- Nature/Outdoors with Erin Dean (14 months)
- Economics with Mike Sims (14 months)
- Pre-Algebra/Algebra with Charlene Johnson (10 months)
- Classical Archaeology with Regan Barr (5 months)
- ASL Adventure with Sandra Heflin (4 months)
- Asia: Safari with Bonnie Rose Hudson (38 weeks)
- Family Nutrition with Jennifer Needham (4 months)
- Beginning Sewing: Historical Costumes with Amy Puetz (4 months)
- Beginning Violin with Nancy Blue (8 months)
- College Choice Guidance with Denise Ames (19 months)
- Asia: Its People and History with Bonnie Rose Hudson (6 months)
- Career Exploration with Carol Topp (8 weeks)
- Starting a Micro Business for Teens with Carol Topp (8 weeks)
- Experience Videomaking with Evonne Mandella (5 months)
- Chemistry (All Things Matter) with Anna Crisostomo (12 weeks)
- Classical History with Jennifer Courtney (29 weeks)
- Classics-Based Writing with Janice Campbell (11 months)
- Filmmaking with George Escobar (36 weeks)
- Geography with Terri Johnson (12 months)
- Guitar with Jerry Jennings (8 months)
- Hands-On Hebrew with Evonne Mandella (16 weeks)
- History: Christian Luminaries by Diana Waring (4 months)
- Home Economics with Malia Russell (10 months)
- Homegrown Preschooler with Kathy Lee and Leslie Richards (7 months)
- How to Write and Produce a Play with Dr. Marci Hanks (10 months)
- Keyboarding with David Kimball (10 weeks)
- Logic with Lisa Duffy (15 weeks)
- Media Socialization with Dr. Lisa Dunne (19 weeks)
- Music/Voice with Joy Sikorski (11 months)
- Physics with Jim Mueller (5 months)
- Scientific Method by Anna Crisostomo (6 weeks)
- Sensory Learning for Toddlers: Playing and Learning My ABCs with Beth Gorden (26 weeks)
- Social Justice with Kurt Hoffman (4 months)
- Trigonometry with Martha Candler (12 weeks)
- Wildlife Adventures with Kelli Becton (15 weeks)
- Writing: Advertising Copy with Sharon Watson (3 weeks)
- Writing: Compare/Contrast Study with Sharon Watson (10 weeks)
- Writing: College Admission Essay with Sharon Watson (2 weeks)
- We even have an animated books collection!