Welcome to Our Sixth Grade School Box!
SchoolhouseTeachers.com has taken the work out of planning your sixth grade homeschool curriculum! Whether you are a brand new homeschooler wondering where to start, a veteran homeschool mom wanting to lighten your planning load, or somewhere in between, the virtual Sixth Grade School Box provides all the content you need for your middle school student to experience an engaging year of learning. Each School Box is made of individual curriculum guides, one for each core subject. Each subject’s guide covers a full year of study using courses from SchoolhouseTeachers.com.
Want to know how to get started? See the FAQs at the bottom of this page or visit our School Box Curriculum Guide tutorial!
Looking for another grade level? Be sure to explore the School Boxes tab on the menu bar.
Click on the subject below for Curriculum Guide and Courses.
See what SchoolhouseTeachers.com members are saying:
“I have been using SchoolhouseTeachers.com for several years now in my homeschool curriculum. There are so many classes to choose from, plus all kinds of extras. Although I am secular and many of these classes have religious components, I have found that it is not incompatible with our goals.” ~ Lisa R.
“There are so many resources on the site, and I love the encouraging emails I get that seem to always be just what I need when struggling in our home school.” ~ Teena C.
The Sixth Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box is a set of online materials, including downloadable .pdf files, streaming videos, and other resources that are available immediately upon purchase of a SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership. There is no physical box of materials to store, no shipping cost, and no delay while waiting for materials to arrive.
✓ A curriculum guide for each subject that correlates objectives with the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Scope and Sequence
✓ Weekly checklists to keep you on track
✓ Daily checklists that guide you—and your student—through each activity
✓ Direct links to the SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses and resources you need by the week
✓ All the additional suggested materials for the year listed in one place, like art supplies and notepaper
✓ Links to additional SchoolhouseTeachers.com resources for those days you want to spend more time on a topic your kids love
Please check the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Scope and Sequence for a full list of the skills covered at each grade level. Here is just a sample of the topics your child will explore this year in sixth grade:
- Math: one variable equations, order of operations, positive and negative numbers, data and statistics, graphing, calculating percentages and interest, perimeter and area of irregular shapes, ratio and proportions, word problems
- English/Language Arts:
- Literature: compare and contrast pieces of literature, flashbacks, symbolism, justify answers to questions through specific parts of text, word choice, knowledge of the classics
- Composition: persuasive writing, tailor writing to specific audience, integrate writing into other subject areas
- Grammar: misplaced modifiers, perfect verb tense, comparative and superlative adverbs, types of pronouns, complex sentence structure
- Research: Dewey Decimal System, continue to use variety of reference sources appropriately
- Spelling: lists derived from scripture, literature, and famous speeches
- Science: kingdoms for classification, body systems, natural resources, mechanical and chemical energy, scientific method, states of matter, periodic table
- History – Traditional: Post-Civil War to World War I, identify key events and important historical figures and inventors, women’s suffrage, Celtic people, Crusades, rise of Christianity
- History – Classical: study of the culture, writings, government, and geographical contexts from medieval period to the Renaissance; Celtic, Byzantine, and Viking people; Crusades; Magna Carta; key historical figures of time period
- Health: nutrition, dental health, sleep, exercise, physical activity
- Social Studies/Geography: topographical maps; holidays and celebrations; career studies; citizenship of ancient Greece, Rome, China, and Egypt; United States currency
- Music: dynamics, tempo, musical notation, treble and bass clefs, meter, and time signatures
- Art: classify pieces of art by time period, study various eras of art
Absolutely not! You can choose the subject guides you need from the Sixth Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box. Focus on fewer subjects, combine guides for some subjects with individual SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses of your choice in other subject areas, or customize using resources from one of our Focused Learning Centers. Flexible options help you meet your individual needs! **Always follow your state’s requirements**
The Sixth Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box, complete with all the curriculum guides and resources you need to successfully teach a full year of sixth grade skills, is automatically available as part of membership in SchoolhouseTeachers.com. We have several membership options to choose from, and every membership includes access to hundreds of courses, a huge selection of streaming videos, full World Book libraries, and dozens of additional tools and resources for your entire family!