How to Use This Course
Elementary Art is a series of units designed for various elementary ages. Each unit focuses on a different area of art. The first unit is “Twelve Great Artists,” a twelve-week study of the masters. Other units under development and consideration include units for very young children on topics such as color theory, primary colors, etc.
Twelve Great Artists takes a look at a famous artist each week. It includes a brief biography of each artist, what type of medium/style made him/her famous, a suggested reading list, and information about some of the artist’s works. Elementary students can imitate the artist and create art in unique and memorable ways by following the instructions provided in each lesson.
Advent Art is a series of ten art lessons all themed around the coming of Jesus. Each project can be completed with ordinary craft supplies. This is a great way to talk about the meaning of Jesus’ birth with your little ones.
Twelve Great Artists: Each week we will be learning about a different artist, what type of medium he/she used, and the artist’s inspirations. Then your children will create a “masterpiece” that reflects the artist’s style. Most of the materials needed for this class can be found right at home or purchased at your local department store. It would be beneficial for students to become familiar with the words in the Word Glossary (see the printable Course Outline below) so they have a better understanding of the artist’s descriptions.
Advent Art: Welcome to Elementary Advent Art! I pray that you and your family will enjoy gathering together, reading the Scriptures, and making some fun projects during this Advent season! I have organized these activities into ten sections. May the Lord bless you beyond measure during this very special time of year!
Twelve Great Artists
- Week One: Michelangelo (1475-1564)
- Week Two: Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
- Week Three: Vincent VanGogh (1853-1890)
- Week Four: Georgia O’Keefe (1887-1986)
- Week Five: George Caleb Bingham (1811-1879)
- Week Six: Mary Cassatt (1845-1926)
- Week Seven: Grant Wood (1892-1942)
- Week Eight: Rembrandt (1606-1669)
- Week Nine: Pierre Auguste Renoir (1841-1919)
- Week Ten: Andy Warhol (1928-1987)
- Week Eleven: Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1519)
- Week Twelve: Claude Monet (1840-1926)
- An Angel Appears
- Mary’s Song
- Joseph’s Dream
- The Journey
- He Has Come!
- Prince of Peace
- Good News of Great Joy
- Glory to God in the Highest
- Three Visitors, Three Gifts
- The Word Became Flesh!