Welcome to Our Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box!
SchoolhouseTeachers.com has taken the work out of planning your second grade homeschool curriculum! Whether you are a brand new homeschooler wondering where to start, a veteran homeschool mom wanting to lighten your planning load, or somewhere in between, the virtual Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box provides all the content you need to experience an exciting year of learning with your young student. Just open and go!
The Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box is a set of online materials, including downloadable .pdf files, streaming videos, and other resources that are available immediately upon purchase of a SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership. There is no physical box of materials to store, no shipping cost, and no delay while waiting for materials to arrive.
✓ A curriculum guide for each subject that correlates objectives with the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Scope and Sequence
✓ Weekly checklists to keep you on track
✓ Daily checklists that guide you—and your student—through each activity
✓ Direct links to the SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses and resources you need by the week
✓ All the additional suggested materials for the year listed in one place, like art supplies and notepaper
✓ Links to additional SchoolhouseTeachers.com resources for those days you want to spend more time on a topic your kids love
Please check the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Scope and Sequence for a full list of the skills covered at each grade level. Here is just a sample of the topics your child will explore this year in second grade:
- Math: telling time, fractions, types of graphs, rounding to nearest ten and hundred, linear measurement, addition and subtraction to thousands place, beginning multiplication concepts
- English/Language Arts:
- Phonics: reading fluency, syllables, alphabetizing to the second letter, practice sight words, read age-appropriate text
- Comprehension: reading and listening to various texts; introduction to figurative language; identify basic parts of a story; answer basic who, what, when, where, why, and how questions; summarize what has been read; fact and opinion
- Handwriting: correct letter formation and appropriate spacing for phrases and sentences
- Composition: begin to construct stories, write in response to a prompt, begin proofreading elements
- Grammar: capitalization, punctuation, parts of speech, subjects and predicates, abbreviations, fragments
- Spelling: spelling rules and associated lists
- Science: plants, animals, atmosphere, astronomy, water cycle, scientific method
- History – Traditional: American history, the Civil War, immigration, key American historical figures
- History – Classical: study of the culture, writings, government from medieval times to the Renaissance including prominent historical figures
- Health: nutrition, sleep needs, basic hygiene, exercise, physical activity
- Social Studies/Geography: continental studies that involve specific countries’ geographic features, food production from farms, flag etiquette, citizenship
- Music: identification of common instruments, developing rhythm, basic reading music notes, sing and memorize age-appropriate songs
- Art: primary colors, elements of art, art vocabulary, exploration of various media types, continued study of famous artists
Absolutely not! You can choose the subject guides you need from the Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box. Focus on fewer subjects, combine guides for some subjects with individual SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses of your choice in other subject areas, or customize using resources from one of our Focused Learning Centers. Flexible options help you meet your individual needs! **Always follow your state’s requirements**
The Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box, complete with all the curriculum guides and resources you need to successfully teach a full year of second grade skills, is automatically available as part of membership in SchoolhouseTeachers.com. We have several membership options to choose from, and every membership includes access to hundreds of courses, a huge selection of streaming videos, ten full World Book libraries, and dozens of additional tools and resources for your entire family!
Click on the subject below for Curriculum Guide and Courses.
See what SchoolhouseTeachers.com members are saying:
“We have been using SchoolhouseTeachers.com since 2015, and it seems there are more great options every year. We are considering keeping our membership even after the kids graduate because the classes are so good! Thank you SchoolhouseTeachers.com for making my school year so much easier.” ~ Annette B.
“There are so many resources on the site, and I love the encouraging emails I get that seem to always be just what I need when struggling in our home school.” ~ Teena C.