Welcome to Our Fifth Grade School Box!
SchoolhouseTeachers.com has taken the work out of planning your fifth grade homeschool curriculum! Whether you are a brand new homeschooler wondering where to start, a veteran homeschool mom wanting to lighten your planning load, or somewhere in between, the virtual Fifth Grade School Box provides all the content you need to experience an exciting year of learning with your elementary student. Each School Box is made of individual curriculum guides, one for each core subject. Each subject’s guide covers a full year of study using courses from SchoolhouseTeachers.com.
Want to know how to get started? You can view our Curriculum Guide tutorial on our tutorial page!
The Fifth Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box is a set of online materials, including downloadable .pdf files, streaming videos, and other resources that are available immediately upon purchase of a SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership. There is no physical box of materials to store, no shipping cost, and no delay while waiting for materials to arrive.
✓ A curriculum guide for each subject that correlates objectives with the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Scope and Sequence
✓ Weekly checklists to keep you on track
✓ Daily checklists that guide you—and your student—through each activity
✓ Direct links to the SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses and resources you need by the week
✓ All the additional suggested materials for the year listed in one place, like art supplies and notepaper
✓ Links to additional SchoolhouseTeachers.com resources for those days you want to spend more time on a topic your kids love
Please check the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Scope and Sequence for a full list of the skills covered at each grade level. Here is just a sample of the topics your child will explore this year in fifth grade:
- Math: coordinate systems; points, lines, line segments, parallel, perpendicular concepts; perimeter and area; plane and solid figures; add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions; exponents; squares and square roots; prime and composite numbers
- English/Language Arts:
- Literature: explain the theme of a text; explore connections within a text; compare and contrast pieces of literature; identify minor character traits; appreciate more complex pieces of literature
- Handwriting: continue cursive handwriting
- Composition: use a multi-step writing process (prewrite, write, edit, revise, rewrite)
- Grammar: colons, semicolons, progressive verb tenses, proper word usage, correct use of frequently misused words, diagramming parts of speech
- Research: use a thesaurus, encyclopedia, sections of library, Bible concordance, and timelines; identify primary and secondary sources
- Spelling: lists derived from scripture, literature, and famous speeches
- Science: plants, cells, body systems, oceanography, ponds, fungi, layers of the atmosphere, solar system; Law of Conservation of Matter; Newton’s Law of Motion
- History – Traditional: Pre-Civil War to Reconstruction, identify key events and important historical figures, California Gold Rush, Mexican War, immigration, Ancient Egypt to Fall of Rome
- History – Classical: study of the culture, writings, government, and geographical contexts from Creation to AD 476; study of the Old Testament, ancient Greece; ancient China; ancient Egypt; Attila the Hun; New Testament
- Health: advanced first aid: hyper/hypothermia, drowning, snake bites, broken bones; summer safety; exercise; physical activity
- Social Studies/Geography: various types of maps, major lakes, American holidays, cultures of North and South America, career studies, stock market investments
- Music: classify music into genres; integrate the study of instruments, rhythm, music notation through the study of the works of specific composers
- Art: recognize important pieces of art, utilize a variety of media in creating art, classify art by various characteristics and elements, following directions to complete specific types of art
Absolutely not! You can choose the subject guides you need from the Fifth Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box. Focus on fewer subjects, combine guides for some subjects with individual SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses of your choice in other subject areas, or customize using resources from one of our Focused Learning Centers. Flexible options help you meet your individual needs! **Always follow your state’s requirements**
The Fifth Grade Homeschool Curriculum Box, complete with all the curriculum guides and resources you need to successfully teach a full year of fifth grade skills, is automatically available as part of membership in SchoolhouseTeachers.com. We have several membership options to choose from, and every membership includes access to hundreds of courses, a huge selection of streaming videos, full World Book libraries, and dozens of additional tools and resources for your entire family!
Looking for another grade level? Be sure to explore the School Boxes tab on the menu bar.
Click on the subject below for Curriculum Guide and Courses.
See what SchoolhouseTeachers.com members are saying:
“Thank you SchoolhouseTeachers.com for making our homeschool experience a pleasant one.” ~ Julia R.
“Course outlines, lesson plans, and easy-to-follow directions for printable resources/worksheets make it a snap to use! I am absolutely LOVING the planner that was included in my membership!” ~ Charlene W.