Getting the Most Out of Your SchoolhouseTeachers.com Membership
Welcome to the SchoolhouseTeachers.com family! We consider it an honor that you have allowed us to join your family on your homeschooling journey. As a member, you have gained access to a vast array of educational resources for every member of your household!
One thing we want to let you know right away is that assistance and support are always right at your fingertips:
- SchoolhouseTeachers.com Community Facebook group
- Customer Service Live Chat – Jump on the chat box in the bottom right corner of the website. Live help is available M–F, 9am-5pm EST
- Call 1.888.718.4663 M–F, 9am–5pm EST
- Email CustomerService@TheOldSchoolhouse.com at any time, and a friendly, knowledgeable representative will get back to you as soon as possible.
To get started using SchoolhouseTeachers.com, you can see what courses are available in a few different ways from the blue menu bar:
- All Courses provides an alphabetical listing of all courses by subject area
- Browse by Grade tab
- Browse by Subject tab
Under the Planning tab, you will also find a Course Information page. From this page, under Course Components, you can find out which courses are fully print and which include videos. You’ll also find age recommendations, number of lessons in each course, and other related course details. The Course Directory lists all courses in alphabetical order by subject area, this time with brief descriptions. Most of our courses are available indefinitely, but we do have a few unique resources that are licensed for specific time periods. Course Availability will alert you to the possible change in availability, so you may make informed decisions in your planning.
We know there are A LOT of course options, and choosing may be difficult. We offer two tools to help you narrow your choices and keep track of your decisions. The Scope and Sequence feature, also found under the Planning tab, will show you the academic goals traditionally held for each grade level and suggested SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses available to fulfill those goals. Please note that the academic goals presented in the Scope and Sequence are not aligned with any specific set of regulations or guidelines. It is up to each family to determine your own state’s requirements.
The other tool, designed to help you keep track as you find courses you want to use in your homeschool, is the Bookmark feature. Near the bottom right side of the Lessons page for each course, you will see this:
Here’s how it works:
- Click New Collection; give the collection a name, like “Mikey’s classes” or “Family Fun,” and click Add New Collection.
- Under the drop-down menu, choose the appropriate collection, then click the heart. Your course is now saved in that collection.
- For additional courses, choose the collection again from the drop-down, or create new collection names for other family members, and save by clicking the heart icon for each chosen course.
- To access your bookmarked courses with ease, return to your Member Dashboard by clicking the link at the top of any SchoolhouseTeachers.com page. Scroll about halfway down the Member Dashboard page to find all your course collections. You may remove a course from a collection at any time from the dashboard as well.
Oh, and while you are scrolling down to your bookmarks, don’t forget to request your FREE print copy of the upcoming issue of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, now available every quarter!
For video demonstrations of these features and more, please visit our Tutorials page, which may be accessed from the blue menu bar near the top of any page.
Options for Planning and Schedules
Now that you know how to select SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses and bookmark them for future reference, let’s look at options for planning lessons and creating schedules.
There are suggested Lesson Plans available for many of the courses you’ll find at SchoolhouseTeachers.com. We are working toward creating lesson plans for every course. If a course has a lesson plan available, you will find a link on the course page. We have also created a list of all courses that contain lesson plans and a video tutorial to help you learn more about how to use them.
The Custom Schedule Builder allows you to create individualized plans for each student, either weekly or in nine-week blocks. Simply download the .pdf template, type directly into the template copy, and “save as” to your chosen computer file. You can even include links directly to your SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses within each schedule!
Another benefit of your SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership is the ability to download the current Schoolhouse Digital Planner and High School Schoolhouse Digital Planner for FREE! These are valued at $29 each if purchased separately, but you receive them at no additional cost. The Schoolhouse Digital Planner contains over 750 pages of organizational and educational content, including fully customizable calendars, lists, schedules, and planning pages. The High School Schoolhouse Digital Planner includes 400 pages of easy-to-navigate organizational tools written directly to your teen.
As you plan your children’s courses, here are a few unique core subject possibilities to consider from the 400+ course options available at SchoolhouseTeachers.com:
- American History in Picture Books– Introduce your young or struggling readers to American history, from exploration through twentieth-century wars.
- Drive Thru History: Ancient Historyand Drive Thru History: American History – Join Dave Stotts on video tours of the sites where history was made!
- Teaching Reading Through Play– Brief, daily, intentional play activities gently guide your little learner into reading.
- Benjamin Franklin Writing Method– Teach, apply, and expand upon the techniques that Franklin, and others like him, used to improve upon their own writing!
- Geometry with Mr. D Math– A full year of video-based lessons, printable course work, detailed answer keys, and exams provide a comprehensive high school geometry course.
- Fun with Science– Your young learner will see the world around us in a whole new way as you explore basic life science, earth science, and physical science concepts with hands-on activities.
- Marine Biology– Meet creatures that boggle the mind and defy imagination as you explore videos, slideshows, research projects, online resources, and downloadable materials all about marine life.
You have a plan in place and have started using the courses at SchoolhouseTeachers.com. Now you may be wondering about how to document your child’s progress and achievements.
The Schoolhouse Digital Planner and High School Schoolhouse Digital Planner, introduced as planning tools in the previous tab, also contain editable .pdf forms for recording attendance, grades, progress reports, book/video lists, activity logs, and community service. There are even forms for recording unschooling and independent-study learning activities. The High School Schoolhouse Digital Planner also includes forms for calculating GPA, documenting career ideas and scholarship opportunities, recording outside classes taken, and tracking credits.
If you would prefer to use an electronic recordkeeping service, then Applecore is for you! Applecore silver membership is included with EVERY SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership. Track courses, grades, and attendance. Print schedules, report cards, and portfolio records with ease. Applecore gold membership, which also includes the option to generate transcripts, is free to SchoolhouseTeachers.com annual members; monthly members may upgrade for $10 to receive twelve months of gold level access. We have a video tutorial that demonstrates the many features of the Applecore system.
The Certificate Library at SchoolhouseTeachers.com gives you the option to personalize and print beautiful certificates for your children. Add certificates to your child’s portfolio or hang them on the refrigerator to acknowledge accomplishments. Certificate templates are available in themed designs to recognize all those special achievements. There are even cute certificates that record accomplishments like learning to recite the alphabet or tie shoes!
As you contemplate the many possibilities for providing individualized instruction for all your children using SchoolhouseTeachers.com, here are just a few of the many elective courses available to consider:
- Hands-On Architecture– Create structures using everyday items. Your elementary student will even design a house and a zoo!
- Media Socialization– Learn about fascinating research findings about the impact of music and advertising on the human brain.
- Photographyand Photography Challenge – Help your children (or yourself!) take photos to the WOW level!
- Whole Foods Cooking– Explore healthy, whole-foods cooking techniques and learn the research behind the methods. Photo demonstrations will allow even your youngest learner to participate!
- Business Plan Creation– Equip young entrepreneurs to create thorough, accurate, and complete business plans that will move their ideas to a marketable level.
- Filmmaking– Learn the many elements of film production and editing, as well as marketing and career planning—directly from a professional Christian filmmaker!
Tons of Support
Next, let’s focus on how your membership provides you with personal encouragement and enrichment, too.
The SchoolhouseTeachers.com Community Facebook group is a great way to stay in touch with others. Seek quick answers about courses from experienced members, be the first to receive new announcements, meet the staff, and invite friends to the private group to find out what SchoolhouseTeachers.com is all about.
The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, the premier trade magazine for homeschooling families, is available to you free with your SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership! It is filled with informative articles, teaching ideas, product reviews, resource directories, and interviews. Claim your free quarterly print issue on your SchoolhouseTeachers.com Member Dashboard.
The Old Schoolhouse® also has a Free Welcome Basket waiting for you. It is filled with several eBooks, as well as product samples and other items to help you get started homeschooling.
Friendly, knowledgeable customer service representatives are available to respond to your questions in three ways:
- Customer Service Live Chat – Jump on the chat box in the bottom right corner of the website. Live help is available M–F, 9am–5pm EST
- Call 1.888.718.4663 M–F, 9am–5pm EST
- Email CustomerService@TheOldSchoolhouse.com at any time, and you will receive a response as soon as possible.
Two Great Libraries of Resources
Are you ready to delve into the World Book Online and video streaming library access that are yours to enjoy?
World Book Online has given all SchoolhouseTeachers.com members access to ten full libraries of resources. These are a new generation of World Book, definitely not the old encyclopedias you may remember using as a kid.
- Early World of Learning– audio books, nursery rhymes, and songs; books and materials to practice early reading skills, including Lexile® levels; interactive pages of facts about animals, people, vehicles, and more; games and worksheets for learning early concepts in size, color, same/different, matching, etc.; video clips of real-world people and events
- Kids– interactive maps and biographical exploration; extensive multimedia content; printable critical-thinking, language, and arts/crafts activities; science projects; text-to-speech and translations of articles; instruction on dictionary use; lesson plans
- Student– all the tools available in the Kids Library, plus current events, “How to Do Research,” “Citation Builder,” trivia quizzes, bookmarks and personal research files, graphic organizers, and extended research through key word links
- Advanced– many features of the Student Library, plus “In the Headlines,” “Today in History,” and access to worldwide newspapers and travel resources
- Timelines– interactive chronologies in history, science/technology, arts, sports, and literature; personalized timeline creation
- eBooks– over 2,000 titles include topics in science, culture, health, history, early readers, classics, and more; tools for highlighting, taking notes, and referencing key information
- Discover– many of the tools available in other libraries, plus extensive visual dictionary and life skills center
- Science Power– elementary level information, experiments, critical-thinking activities, and quizzes on all things science
- Social Studies Power– graphic organizers, extension activities, and inquiry projects about community/government, peoples and cultures, and world history
- Spanish version of World Book Student
Choosing World Book on the main menu bar will take you to this page:
SchoolhouseTeachers.com has organized World Book resources by Library and by Grade and Subject, providing Quick Links to help you navigate with ease. Instructions for accessing and personalizing materials are included, as well as a special note to remind all of us that it’s important to exercise discernment and be aware of the content our students can access.
Choosing the Video tab on the menu bar will take you to the main page of the SchoolhouseTeachers.com video streaming library, which includes access to over 450 titles to educate and entertain the whole family. Instructions are included to set up your free RightNow Media Originals account. A RightNow Media account is not needed to access all the videos in the streaming library, but it does give access to many that are not available directly from the SchoolhouseTeachers.com site.
Be sure to read the notes about North American Access and High School Only in order to fully understand what is available to you based on your SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership level and location. If you have questions about this or any other features of your membership, you can always reach us through Customer Service, the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Community Facebook group, or the Members Forum.
Remember, when you browse through courses by grade or by subject, symbols will indicate courses that use World Book or video components. You may also view an at-a-glance summary of the courses with video from the Course Components page: Planning → Course Information → Course Components.
Here are just a few of the SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses that incorporate World Book or video components to get you started:
- Bedbug Bible Gang (video-based)
- Achieving Art Success with ArtAchieve (video, printable, and hands-on resources)
- Introduction to Physical Science (World Book Library)
- How to Do Research (World Book Library)
- Lighting the Way (video-based – Torchlighters series)
- Leadership 101 (video-based – RightNow Media Originals)
- Understanding Modern History (printable lessons and assignments using World Book Online resources)
Your SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership was designed to be affordable, flexible, portable, and self-paced. Courses and other helpful resources are added regularly to increase your value without increasing your membership price. In other words, your monthly or annual rate will never increase during the life of your membership!
One of the unique features available with your SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership is access to our Focused Learning Centers. Sometimes a student needs a little extra help in a subject area—or we need advice or additional resources for teaching to a child’s learning style. SchoolhouseTeachers.com is here for you! We have designed several Focused Learning Centers to direct you to courses, individual lessons, and articles that will facilitate your student’s learning and equip you with the information you need.
Focused Learning Centers, found under Resources on the menu bar, is a page that introduces you to all twelve of the Focused Learning Center concentrations available at SchoolhouseTeachers.com: math, reading, science, preschool, special needs, high school and college, career center, ESL and foreign languages, the Charlotte Mason method, hands-on learning, seasonal, and resources just for parents. You can explore several of these centers in more depth through the tabs on the left. You may also visit the Tutorials page for video tours of a few of the centers.
Let’s take a closer look at the Literacy Center, found under Help with Reading on the Focused Learning Centers’ page. You may also access the Literacy Center directly under the Resources tab on the menu bar. At the core of this learning center is “Teach Your Child to Read in 101 Simple Steps,” which outlines the foundational steps needed for developing literacy skills through a fourth grade level.
Included with the 101 steps are explanations, suggested learning activities, and links to teaching resources available at SchoolhouseTeachers.com that include a focus on specific skills. There are also links to downloadable books that are included with your membership, guidelines for using consistent strategies, and the option to print a .pdf version of the literacy center. Visit the Literacy Center often if you have a young or struggling learner for tips and materials to help your student succeed in reading!
In addition to the comprehensive supplemental materials found in the Literacy Center, here is a small sample of the more than 70 language arts courses available at SchoolhouseTeachers.com:
- Adventures with Books– Suggested reading lists based on themes, combined with related activities, bring stories to life.
- Crafting Fiction– Twenty-one bite-size assignments are designed to take the fear out of writing fictional stories, guiding the student every step of the way.
- Daily Grammar– Lessons and worksheets are available across several grade levels to cover grammar, punctuation, and word-relationship skills.
- Elements of Literature– Key literary elements are examined across eight genres, providing middle school and high school students with a foundation in literature study.
- Introducing the Many Faces of Poetry– Brief lessons introduce students to tools of poetry without being overwhelming.
- Schoolhouse Spelling– Word lists, worksheets, activities, and puzzles provide spelling and vocabulary instruction for preschool through high school.
- Writing: College Admission Essay– A veteran writing instructor walks high school students through the process of showing colleges who they are, including tips about what college admissions counselors look for in an essay and critical “do” and “don’t” lists.
Preschool and Special Needs
Next, let’s explore the Preschool Playground and Help with Special Needs resources.
We are very excited about Preschool Playground! Accessible from both the Focused Learning Centers’ page under Resources and the Browse by Grade tab, this is an entire preschool curriculum on SchoolhouseTeachers.com. You can use components individually or combine them for a full preschool program. Guidance is provided, along with links to all the courses, activity ideas, and worksheets that are available to help you create a fun, individualized early learning experience for your youngest student. Also on this page, you will find links to bright, colorful preschool certificates of achievement, as well as articles and resources for encouragement to keep your little one learning at home. Visit the Tutorials page to take an in-depth tour of all that’s available in the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Preschool Playground.
The Help with Special Needs learning center brings together articles, eBooks, webinars, and suggestions to help you teach your special needs learner. Sometimes we need a little extra guidance or encouragement to help us teach to our child’s unique strengths and needs. From learning styles to homeschooling through the tough times, SchoolhouseTeachers.com has several resources available to assist you along the way. You can access Help with Special Needs from either the Focused Learning Centers’ page or the direct link found under Resources.
Here is just a sample of the courses available at SchoolhouseTeachers.com especially useful for teaching your preschool-age or special needs learners:
- Around the World with Stories
- Preschool in a Box
- Family Music for Preschoolers
- Small World Sensory Science
- Strengthening Behavioral and Social Skills
- Reading Remedies
- Your Child’s Learning Style (series of articles for parents)
We recognize that you may have questions as you design and implement your child’s learning plan, or you may be wondering how SchoolhouseTeachers.com fits into your family’s dynamic lifestyle. As a member of SchoolhouseTeachers.com, you belong to a community of over 7,500 homeschooling families. Please reach out through the Members Forum or the Community Facebook group to get your questions answered and find the support you need to stay the course. Our customer service representatives are also ready to respond to your questions. Contact them through the live chat box found in the lower right corner of the website, email CustomerService@TheOldSchoolhouse.com, or call 1.888.718.4663.
Another fantastic benefit to membership in SchoolhouseTeachers.com is the option to receive print issues of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine delivered directly to your home for free (US addresses only). Filled with articles, tips, and practical information, each quarterly issue is yours for the asking! Request your free copy of the upcoming issue on your Member Dashboard before the deadline!
High School and Careers
The thought of homeschooling through high school and helping your child prepare for life beyond homeschooling can feel intimidating at times. SchoolhouseTeachers.com strives to equip you and your teen with the tools you need to continue your homeschooling journey. It is important to note that SchoolhouseTeachers.com is not a school, and it is not under the authority of any accreditation agency. You maintain the responsibility to be familiar with your own state’s homeschooling laws and requirements, choose courses for your children, and keep the necessary records required by your state. We have designed a High School Help center as a place to organize important information about planning, determining credits, creating transcripts, and preparing for college.
You can find the High School Help center under the Resources tab on the menu bar; it is also accessible from the Focused Learning Centers’ page under Focus on High School and College. The center contains links to eBooks, high school courses available at SchoolhouseTeachers.com, the Applecore Recordkeeping System, College Help resources, useful forms and printouts, and the huge High School Schoolhouse Planner. All these resources are included with your membership in SchoolhouseTeachers.com. In addition, a Transcript Information tab is located on each high school level course page, which provides suggested academic weighting if your student follows the guidelines for thoroughly completing the course.
Also accessible from the Focused Learning Centers’ page is the SchoolhouseTeachers.com Career Center. Whether your teen demonstrates interest in a particular career field or wants to explore different possibilities, the Career Center is a valuable resource. It was designed as a quick reference guide to courses available at SchoolhouseTeachers.com that provide a glimpse into various career options.
SchoolhouseTeachers.com has over 150 courses available to help your teen meet college entrance requirements and explore interests. Here are just a few of the high school courses to consider:
- Internet Entrepreneurship for Teens
- Foundations for Teens
- Spanish 1, Spanish 2, and Advanced Spanish Fluency
- Age of Revolution
- Mock Trial
- World Literature and Cultures
This is a great time to mention the Applecore Recordkeeping System, which can help you track courses and attendance, as well as generate report cards.
All SchoolhouseTeachers.com members are eligible for a free Applecore silver membership, but those who purchase an annual SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership are eligible for a free Applecore gold membership, which also includes the ability to create transcripts. Visit the Tutorials page for an in-depth look at how this versatile resource can help you generate your student’s high school records.
Please remember that courses designed specifically for the high school level are only available with a SchoolhouseTeachers.com Ultimate Membership. If you would like to upgrade your Limited Membership to Ultimate—or if you want to change your monthly membership to annual in order to take advantage of all the great features of the Applecore Recordkeeping System—please contact our helpful customer service representatives. Live help is available through the chat box in the bottom right corner of the website M–F, 9am–5pm EST, or by calling 1.888.718.4663 M–F, 9am–5pm EST.
Did you know that your membership with SchoolhouseTeachers.com includes access to a wealth of resources to help you streamline household tasks, too? Let’s take a look at how SchoolhouseTeachers.com is also a valuable tool for keeping your family organized and learning essential life skills.
The Schoolhouse Digital Planner, an exclusive product from The Old Schoolhouse®, which normally retails at $29, is yours free as a member of SchoolhouseTeachers.com! The 750-page planner, which includes calendars and academic resources, also has tools devoted to organizing your household. You will find over 275 pages that cover:
- Bible reading schedules, notetaking and prayer journal pages, and quick-reference lists
- Personal finance records, including a form kids can use to track their giving, saving, and spending
- Chore charts, health records, and vacation planning/packing lists
- Planning pages for personal projects and goals
- List of pantry staples, kitchen measurement conversions, menu planning, and over 100 easy recipes (including gluten free!)
- Address book, Christmas card list, and information for babysitters
- And MORE . . .
In addition, there are several time-saving and encouraging tools available under the Resources tab on the SchoolhouseTeachers.com site:
- Monthly Menu – an entire year of recipes waiting for you
- Seasonal Resources (located within the Focused Learning Centers) – Christmas Corner, Summer, Easter, and Fall resources—plus additional activities for celebrations across the entire year
- Just for Parents and Parent eBook Library – courses, articles, tips for working from home, household organization help, finances, cleaning, and more
- Home Economics and Bulk Food Preparation – just one of more than 25 Schoolhouse Expos from The Old Schoolhouse® that are free with your SchoolhouseTeachers.com membership
- Members Forum – a community of encouragement and ideas for household and personal issues, as well as academics
- Trade Magazine – link to all the past issues of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine in digital format—and remember to claim your free upcoming print issue on your Member Dashboard!
We haven’t forgotten your student in the subject area of “life” either! Here is a sample of the courses available at SchoolhouseTeachers.com that are designed to help your child develop independent living skills, including Home Economics, Personal Finance in Bite-Size Chunks, and Homesteading:
Partner with Us
Now it’s time to discover how you can become an even larger part of the SchoolhouseTeachers.com family!
Click on Affiliates, under the EARN MONEY! tab, and you will be taken to this page, where you can learn about the SchoolhouseTeachers.com affiliate program, sign up, and join the email list to receive our affiliate newsletter:
Start earning affiliate cash right away when you share your love for SchoolhouseTeachers.com with your friends and family, and they become members. The affiliate community also interacts through a private Facebook group, and some months there are fun, friendly affiliate competitions that include wonderful prizes—in addition to your cash earnings! There is plenty of ongoing support, and resources are provided to help you be successful.
Do you have a specific area of expertise or passion you would love to share with other members of SchoolhouseTeachers.com? We are looking for individuals to become lesson designers or create other educational content for the site. Each SchoolhouseTeachers.com independent lesson designer or team lesson designer earns a free membership to SchoolhouseTeachers.com for their family. We currently have over two hundred lesson designers from eight countries and five continents at SchoolhouseTeachers.com! Meet our lesson designers here and picture your own bio appearing on SchoolhouseTeachers.com. Visit the Write for Us page under the About Us tab, or email email@example.com for more information about this opportunity.
We are more than just another curriculum site. SchoolhouseTeachers.com strives to earn your trust and to provide a community of like-minded folks with whom you can feel at home. We are a family.
Like a wonderful family reunion brings people together, this tab brings together the valuable resources we have visited. We know that family can be overwhelming and chaotic at times, and sometimes we just can’t remember all those names to go with the faces, so think of this list as your “cheat sheet” to recall the names and uses of all those SchoolhouseTeachers.com resources just a little more easily:
- Quick Links provides an alphabetical listing of all courses by subject area
- Course Information page includes Course Components, Course Directory, and Course Availability
- Scope and Sequence shows you the academic goals traditionally held for each grade level and suggested SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses available to fulfill those goals
- Bookmark feature is located on the Lessons page for each course
- Lesson Plans provide a suggested path to completing each course
- Custom Schedule Builder allows you to create individualized plans for each student
- Schoolhouse Digital Planner and High School Schoolhouse Digital Planner contain over 1,100 pages of educational content and planning/organizational tools for homeschool and household
- Applecore is an electronic recordkeeping service
- Transcript Information tab is located on each high school level course page
- Certificate Library gives you the option to personalize and print beautiful certificates
- World Book gives access to ten full libraries of resources and interactive materials
- Video Library includes over 450 titles to educate and entertain the whole family
- Focused Learning Centers are twelve concentrations of resources for math, reading, science, preschool, special needs, high school and college, career center, ESL and foreign languages, the Charlotte Mason method, hands-on learning, seasonal, and just for parents
- Monthly Menu contains an entire year of tasty dishes
- Seasonal Resources for celebrations across the year are located within the Focused Learning Centers
- Just for Parents and Parent eBook Library provides you with resources for personal enrichment and inspiration
- Schoolhouse Expos from The Old Schoolhouse® are like inviting convention speakers directly into your home
- Trade Magazine links to all past issues of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine in digital format—and remember to claim your free upcoming print issue on your Member Dashboard!
- Video Tutorials provide visual guides through several of the SchoolhouseTeachers.com resources
- Site News informs of new developments, course additions, and upcoming resources
- Free Welcome Basket is filled with several eBooks, as well as product samples and other items to help you get started homeschooling
- Affiliate Program gives you the opportunity to earn cash when others join SchoolhouseTeachers.com through your unique affiliate link
- Write for Us gives you the opportunity to share your expertise with others as a lesson designer, while getting a free membership to SchoolhouseTeachers.com for your family
Also, don’t miss: