How to Use This Course
Help your students learn how to not only read poetry with confidence, but also write their own with Discovering Poetic Elements. Through twenty-four bite-size assignments, this class takes the fear out of writing a poem and guides students through the process of writing a poem in one of many styles.
From diamantes to split couplets, learn the finer points of composing your own personal poetry and discover it’s not nearly as intimidating as it sounds! Through text-based lessons and short assignments, discover what makes poetry work and how to put this knowledge to use in your own poetry.
- Week One: The What, Where, and Why of Creativity
- Week Two: Alliteration, Assonance, and Onomatopoeia
- Week Three: Diamantes
- Week Four: Personification, Metaphors, and Similes
- Week Five: Sense Poems
- Week Six: Enjambment, Rhyme, and Meter
- Week Seven: Split Couplets
- Week Eight: Theme, Mood, and Sound