How to Use This Course
This nine-week course provides students with daily assignments that challenge them to read and analyze a number of selections of literature and create their own composition using what they learn along the way.
By studying the works of authors including Beatrix Potter, Aesop, Rudyard Kipling, Edward Lear, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Walt Whitman, and others, students learn about metaphor, meter, haiku, personification, and more. Numerous writing assignments are included that challenge students to use what they are learning to improve their own creative compositions.
- Week One: Cinderella Folk Tales
- Week Two: Cinderella Folk Tales, Cont.
- Week Three: Beatrix Potter’s Naughty Animal Tales
- Week Four: Fables and Trickster Tales Around the World
- Week Five: Mixing Fact and Fiction
- Week Six: Haiku
- Week Seven: Nonsense and Limericks
- Week Eight: Emily Dickinson and Poetic Imagination
- Week Nine: Interacting with Classic and Original Poetry