How to Use This Course
Exploring Citizenship in First Grade is an introductory look at what it means to be a citizen. Through suggested reading, conversation, and printable activities, students can learn about the world around them and a few of the various types of leaders.
Through this engaging course, students are introduced to what it means to be a citizen, what it means to have responsibilities and rights, what their community leaders and helpers do, who their state and national leaders are, how to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and what several American symbols stand for.
- Week One: What It Means to Be a Citizen; Community and How We Fit into the Bigger World
- Week Two: Basics of Rules, Laws, Responsibilities, and Rights
- Week Three: Leadership
- Week Four: Community Leaders and Helpers
- Week Five: State Leaders
- Week Six: National Leaders
- Week Seven: Elections and the Office of President
- Week Eight: Learn the Pledge of Allegiance and What It Means
- Week Nine: American Symbols and Their Meanings